Many people come to us for the purpose of removing their tattoos for the military. Each branch has their own specific regulations about what and where tattoos are acceptable. Recently, the U.S. Marine Corps has changed their policy, being more lenient with some tattoos. In an article published by Marine Corps Times, these new rules were outlined, and are as follows:
The following areas are considered unauthorized locations for Marines’ tattoos, according to the new rules:
- Area 2 inches or less above the center of the elbow and 1 inch or less below.
- Area 2 inches or less above wrist
- Hands, with the exception of a single band tattoo on one finger that is no more than 3/8 of an inch thick.
- The area 2 inches above and below the center of the kneecap.
Additionally, these more specific rules tell what tattoos are authorized:
- Tattoos on the chest must be below the collarbone. They must not be visible when a Marine is wearing a crew-neck T-shirt.
- Any tattoos on Marines’ backs must be below the seventh vertebrae.
- Any band tattoos that can be seen in a physical training uniform can’t exceed 3 inches or the width of the wearer’s four fingers, while joined and extended.
- Tattoos on the upper arms can’t fall within 2 inches of the elbow.
- Any tattoos on the lower arm must be at least an inch below the elbow.
- Marines’ tattoos must be at least 2 inches above the wrist.
- Marines can have a single band tattoo on one finger. The tattoo’s width must not exceed 3/8 of an inch.
- Marines must be able to cover any tattoos on their upper legs that show in a PT uniform with their hand. They also must be at least 2 inches above the knee.
- Any tattoos on the lower leg must be at least 2 inches below the knee.
- Marines must be able to cover any single tattoos on their feet with their hand.
While these new policy changes have made it more acceptable to have tattoos and be a Marine, some tattoos may still keep you from being able to join. If you need to remove your tattoo(s) in order to enlist, give us a call and we can help you out! 857.284.4800